While traveling through Ireland we ate a LOT of Potato Leek Soup. The weather was often cold and rainy, which inevitably inspired a trip to the pub. What could be better on a cold Irish day than a nice hot bowl of soup in a traditional pub, all decked out in dark mahogany wood? We of course accompanied our soup with with whatever happened be on tap. Many good times were had, which has since brought us back to Ireland, again and again.
Once we bought our Instant Pot, we decided that Potato Leek Soup would be one of our first meals. We added a touch of our to the more traditional recipes by adding a splash of white wine.
The other difference, which turned out to be a game changer, was the addition of bacon. Strips of smoked bacon are crisped, and the remaining bacon fat is used to simmer the vegetables used in the soup.
The additional layers of flavor, which includes the use of our homemade Instant Pot Chicken Stock, really make the soup something special.
The best thing is this is one of those wonderful one-pot dishes that is so simple to make.
Don’t forget to add this recipe to your collection on Pinterest or bookmark it for later!
Here are some additional Instant Pot recipes that you might enjoy!
4 Slices Bacon
1 Medium Sweet White Onion, diced
1 Stalk Celery, diced
3 Clover Garlic, diced
3 Large Leeks
1 Pound Potatoes (about 3 large) such as Russet or Yukon Gold, diced into 1/2 inch cubes
1/2 Cup Dry White Wine
4 Cups Chicken Stock
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Thyme
1 Bay Leaf
1 Cup Crema, Crème Fraîche or Heavy Cream*
3 Tablespoons Butter or Olive OIl (optional as needed)**
Grated Parmesan Cheese (Optional)
Diced Fresh Chives or Green Onions as a Garnish (Optional)
- Cut the bacon strips in half and then add them to the Instant Pot. Press the "Sauté" button.
- Cook until the bacon it is crisp on both sides, remove from the pan. Crumble when cool.
- Discard all but about 3 tablespoons of bacon fat from the pan. If cooking the bacon rendered less fat, add additional butter or olive oil so that there is about 3 tablespoons of fat in the pot.
- Add the onions and sauté for about 5 minutes until they begin to soften.
- In the meantime, discard the green stem from the leeks and split down the middle. Wash them thoroughly, removing any dirt and grit. Slice into thin half rounds.
- Add the leeks and garlic to the Instant Pot and continue to sauté for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add the wine and cook for 2 minutes until the alcohol is cooked off.
- Turn the Instant Pot off.
- Add the potatoes, salt, pepper, thyme and chicken stock.
- Seal the lid and make sure that the venting knob is set to "Sealing."
- Press the "Manual" or "High" button and set the cooking time to 5 minutes.
- Once the cooking time is complete, allow the Instant Pot to naturally release for 15 minutes.
- Release the remaining pressure and turn the pot off, allowing the soup to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Using a immersion blender, blend the soup until it reaches your desired consistency. It is also possible to use a blender if you fill it only half way, blending the soup in small batches.
- Take one cup of the soup and put it in a separate bowl and whisk with one cup or the cream of your choice. Add the mixture back into the soup and combine.
- Ladle the soup into individual bowls.
- Top with bacon crumbles, parmesan cheese, chopped chives or green onions as you wish.
- For a more dramatic presentation, make a swirl on the top of the soup by combining equal parts of white wine (or water) and your choice of cream (enough of a mixture so that it will be easy to drizzle on the soup). Make a swirl on top of the soup and create a web shaped pattern by drawing a toothpick or wooden skewer through center of the swirl.
* Crema, Heavy Cream and Crème Fraîche will all add flavor, creaminess and extra thickening to the soup. Use what you like and what is available in your region.
** Additional fat can be added if you opt not to use bacon, or if you use a lean bacon that does not render much fat during the cooking process.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 248Total Fat: 13gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 593mgCarbohydrates: 26.5gFiber: 2.5gSugar: 2.4gProtein: 5.6g