Instant Pot Egg Bites are our new thing! So quick and easy to make, and a great snack or addition to breakfast or sandwiches. We just store them in the fridge in microwave them just before eating.
There are so many flavor options for these simple treats. For this recipe we went Mexican, combining spicy chorizo with chile peppers.
We made this recipe with Anaheim chiles, which have a pretty mild level of heat. If you want to go hotter, you can substitute jalapeños, or for a real kick, Serrano chiles. As a reminder, Anaheim chiles range from 1,000 – 1,500 on the Scoville scale, jalapeños are 2,500 – 5,000, and Serranos are 5,000 – 15,000. So, a Serrano might be 15x hotter than an Anaheim.
We’ll often just eat the egg bites as a snack, but they can be used as part of a bigger meal. Below we made avocado toast topped with Chorizo egg bites.
To make egg bites in the Instant Pot, we use a silicone mold, which makes 7 “bites.” We suggest using a mold that includes a lid so that you can reuse it instead of needing to make one with foil.
Another key item is a trivet with handles. Having one again avoids needing to form a foil sling to remove cooking vessels from the pot.
We’ve also provided instructions for baking the bites in the oven for those who haven’t make the leap to cooking with an Instant pot.
Looking for more ideas? We have these additional Instant Pot Breakfast Recipes you might enjoy!
Instant Pot Egg Bites with Chorizo and Chile
Instant Pot Egg Bites with Chorizo and Chile (baking directions included)
- 4 Large Eggs
- 4 - 5 oz (112g) Mexican Chorizo
- 1 Poblano, Jalapeño, or Serrano chile
- 2 Tablespoons (28g) Cream Cheese
- 1/2 Cup (118g) Shredded Cheddar Cheese*
- Cooking Spray or Vegetable Oil for nonstick coating
Instant Pot Instructions
- Add 1 cup of water to the bottom of the Instant Pot. If you don't have a trivet with handles, create a sling by doubling over a 17 inch (23 cm) length of foil folder over twice, and slide it under the trivet.
- Lightly oil the inside of the molds with cooking spray or vegetable oil.
- Add the chorizo to a pan over medium heat. Brown on all sides until the chorizo is cooked through (about 7 minutes). Remove from pan and set aside.
- Wash and dice the chile peppers add to the same pan over medium heat. Sauté for 3-4 minutes until they are softened then set aside.
- Add the eggs and cream cheese to a blender or food processor. Blend until combined.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the food processor or blender and pulse a few times until the ingredients are combined.
- Pour the egg batter into each mold cup about 1/2 to the top. Go back and fill each cup, allowing extra room at the top for the batter to expand during cooking. This allows for distribution of the heavier ingredients in each mold.
- Cover the molds with a lid (if you have one ) or foil, being sure to fit around the sides so no water enters the mold during cooking.
- Set the Instant Pot on "High" or "Manual" for 10 minutes. Make sure the venting knob is set to "Sealing." Perform a quick release when the cooking time has finished.
- Remove the mold from the Instant Pot, uncover and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Then invert the mold and gently press on the center of each mold to release the egg bites.
Pin the recipe for later!
- Lightly grease a 6 muffin tin pan with cooking spray or vegetable oil.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (177 C) and make sure the baking rack is in the middle.
- Follow instructions 3-7 above for making the egg batter.
- Place in the oven and cook for 15 minutes, until the top begins to brown but the center still giggles slightly.
- Allow the egg bites to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the tin.
*Cheese can be substituted by another cheese of your choice
Serving Size:1 Egg Bite
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 106Total Fat: 6.9gSaturated Fat: 3.3gCholesterol: 109mgSodium: 184mgCarbohydrates: 5.1gFiber: 1.3gProtein: 8.1g