If you are looking for a beef and bean chili recipe, but want something a little different, then this barbacoa and black bean chili could just be your new go-to favorite.
Barbacoa Beef, which is a slow cooked recipe originating in Mexico, brings a lot to the party. The beef is combined with smoky chipotles (smoked jalapeño peppers) in adobo sauce, tart apple cider vinegar and spices such as cinnamon, cumin and oregano. The slow cooked beef comes out tender and full of flavor.
The black beans, which we also cooked in an Instant Pot (without soaking) combine together with the beef to make a rich hearty base for our chili. We add a few more spices and cook the whole thing together so that the flavors mingle together.
The chili is made into your perfect creation with the addition of toppings that you crave when you think of the perfect chili, like sour cream, crunchy tortilla strips, fresh cilantro and diced onions or jalapeños for more texture and fresh flavor.
For something different, try the chili topped with our Pickled Red Onions, a traditional topping when making Barbacoa Beef Tacos.
Don’t forget to add the recipe to your collection on Pinterest or bookmark it for later!
Here are some additional Instant Pot Recipes that you might enjoy:
- 4 Cups Cooked Black Beans
- 2 Cups Instant Pot Barbacoa Beef (with broth)
- 2 1/2 Teaspoons Chili Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
Toppings on the Side
- Diced Tomato
- Diced Onion
- Chopped Cilantro
- Shredded Cheese
- Tortilla Strips
- Jalapeño Slices
- Sour Cream
- Hot Sauce
- Add cooked beans to Instant Pot and set to "Sauté.
- Add chile powder, garlic powder, and cumin to beans and mix well.
- Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Add barbacoa beef, stirring gently.
- Cook for 15 minutes, or until all ingredients are hot.
Pressure Cooker Method
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and Seal
- Make sure the Sealing Knob is set to "Venting"
- Set the Instant Pot to "High" (Manual) for 15 minutes
- After the cooking time is complete, allow the pot to naturally release for 10 minutes.
Finishing the Chili
- Adjust the spices to your liking.
- Serve in individual bowls, allowing guests to add there own toppings.
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 265 Total Fat: 9.6 g Saturated Fat: 2.9g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4.7g Cholesterol: 44mg Sodium: 900mg Carbohydrates: 34g Net Carbohydrates: 34g Fiber: 8.4g Sugar: 4.2g Protein: 16g