Air Fryer Zucchini Sticks are a favorite “guilty pleasure” snack, minus the guilt.
Our version of Air Fryer Zucchini Sticks are coated in a batter without breading. A garlic laced Parmesan cheese coating becomes a crispy layer surround the zucchini stick.
The Zucchini Sticks have a crispy cheesy texture that is enhanced even further by the addition of lemon zest and oregano.
Best of all, a serving of 4 Zucchini Sticks has a total of 50 calories. Four breaded and fried Zucchini Sticks are about 120 calories.
To go one step further, I would argue that the Air Fryer version tastes even better than the fried.
In this recipe, we suggest removing some of the soft interior of the zucchini before frying it. This will decrease the moisture and help the sticks develop a perfect crispy cheesy crust.
Pro Tip: Many batter recipes suggest mixing salt in with the egg wash or flour. Salt has been omitted in this recipe as it tends to draw the moisture out of the zucchini and can result in a less crispy coating.
- 1 Small Zucchini
- 1/3 Cup (30 g) Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Tablespoon (6 g) Fresh Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/3 Cup (42 g) All purpose White Flour
- 2 Eggs
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons (4.6 g) Garlic Powder
- Marinara Sauce or Ranch Dressing for Dipping
- Lemon Zest & Oregano as a garnish
- Preheat the Air Fryer to 400 degrees F (204 C).
- Wash and dry the zucchini. Remove the base and stem and then cut the zucchini in half.
- Cut each half into 8 "sticks" removing the center portion that contains most of the seeds. Make sure each "stick" is approximately the same size for even cooking.
- Combine the flour and garlic powder and place on a plate.
- Whisk the eggs and place in a wide shallow bowl next to the flour.
- Place the grated parmesan in a dish next to eggs, forming a line.
- With one hand dredge the zucchini stick through the flour and shake off the excess.
- With the other hand, dredge the flour covered zucchini stick through the egg wash allowing excess egg wash to drain.
- Roll in the parmesan cheese, pressing down slightly. Place on a plate and repeat until all of the zucchini sticks are fully coated.
- Remove the Air Fryer basket and place on a heat safe surface.
- Coat the basket on all sides with non-stick cooking spray.
- Carefully place the zucchini sticks in the basket using a pair on tongs. Make sure that they are evenly spaced and that there is space between each to ensure even cooking.
- Return the basket to the air fryer and set to 375 degrees F (190 C) for 6 minutes.
- After 6 minutes, remove the basket and shake the zucchini sticks or turn them using tongs.
- Continue to cook for 2 minutes. Check to see if the zucchini sticks have started to brown on the top side. Continue to cook until they begin to brown, which will vary due to heat and size of the Air Fryer you are using. When they begin to brown, sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan cheese and return to the fryer for an additional 2 minutes. Total cooking time should be between approximately 9 - 12 minutes.
- Remove the zucchini sticks when the cheese is melted and the sticks are golden brown.
- Garnish with lemon zest, fresh parsley and oregano.
- Serve with a thick Marinara Sauce or Ranch Dressing (optional).
Serving Size:1 (4 sticks)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 50Total Fat: 1.3gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 21mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: .6gSugar: .6gProtein: 2.6g